PREP TIME | 15 mins
COOKING TIME | 45 mins
SERVINGS | 12 slices
1/4 cup Salted Caramel Syrup
1 tsp Pink Salt
1 tsp Cinnamon Sugar
1/3 cup coconut oil
1 grated apple
1/2 cup brown sugar (or coconut sugar)
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup almond milk
1 1/2 cups grated carrot
1 1/2 cups almond flour
1 1/2 cups gluten free flour
3/4 cup of crushed nuts (i used cashews, you could use walnuts or pecans)
750mL greek yoghurt
1/2 cup icing sugar
1 tbsp Tasteology Salted Caramel Syrup
½ cup crushed pecans
1. Preheat oven to 180 C. Line two 10inch round cake tins with baking paper
2. Prep for frosting: Strain Greek Yoghurt in a colander lined with new Chux towel or paper towel to get rid of extra whey in order to achieve a thick and creamy icing (but healthier)
3. In a bowl add eggs, grated apple, sugar, Tasteology Pink Salt, baking soda, baking powder, and Tasteology Cinnamon Sugar and whisk to combine.
4. Add almond milk and stir. Add grated carrot and stir. Then add almond flour and gluten-free flour and stir.
5. Divide mixture evenly between cake pans. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until deep golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
6. Remove from oven and let rest in the pans for 15 minutes. Then carefully remove from pans onto cooling racks to let cool completely.
7. Once cooled, you can serve as is or frost! I frosted mine with a Greek Yoghurt Salted Caramel frosting.
8. To make frosting: Combine strained yoghurt, icing sugar and Tasteology Salted Caramel Syrup in a medium bowl and whisk until smooth and creamy
9. Assemble cake: Place one of the cakes on a cake stand. Add ⅓ of the frosting and spread across the top of the layer evenly. Place second cake on top of the first.
Add ⅓ of the icing to the top of the cake and spread evenly. Place remaining frosting around the sides of the cake and spread evenly. Garnish with crushed pecans
or drizzle with extra Tasteology Salted Caramel Syrup
Enjoy! To make this recipe vegan, simply replace the Greek Yoghurt used in the frosting with a Vegan Cream Cheese.
Made in collaboration with Liljana Petkovski (@hideseeksydney)